Saturday, December 3, 2011

Curiosa Alyssa canta villancicos. Yikes!

      Today we set up the arbol de Navidad! Purple and Gold is this years theme. We listened to an english Christmas album and dispersed miniature angels all around the house. Also, today is Alejandra´s birthday party, Marina´s mejor amiga! She turns 11 tomorrow. So after tennis, we took the girls to Alejandra´s for la comida and the three of us ate at the cafeteria in the development. I met some of their neighbors and they promised to introduce me to their children when they come home for Madrid because of the holiday. More spanish practice! After siesta, Carlos, Carmen, and I went to a small pueblo called El Carpio de Tajo. Here we succeeded in our hunt for mazapán. This place is unique because it is a factory that is open only 1 month out of the year. They make a TON of mazapán to sell and when everything is sold they shut up shop until next year! The ingredients to this mazapan is almonds, sugar, and water. There are no preservatives so with time the mazapán will become harder and harder. It tastes pretty good but I can´t say that I would choose it over a good ole cup of hot chocolate. After this I went to the medieval market that is held every first Saturday of the month. This market is held in the oldest streets of Talavera and meanders through the Roman wall to a large square. The tents and vendors are all decked out in medieval clothes too! I went to buy some souvenirs and Christmas presents and to meet up with my intercambio amiga Marionela and her 5 year old son Mario and her friend Mario. The Marios, Marionela, and I had a great time tasting the dried fruits, perusing the bracelets, and warming our hands at the random firepits placed on the streets. The girls had a great time at Alejandra´s and we spent the night together while Carmen and Carlos went to a dinner with friends.
You can see Mario with the white scarf, Marionela with the stroller, and little Mario next to her.  Behind me is the wooden carousel and the puppet show booth!
A picture with light from the marcadillo in October. The women are making something fried and delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted something, Alyssa :)

    I miss mazapan! Enjoy it while you can. Tell Alejandra Happy Birthday for me please!!!!

    ReplyDelete